Monday, June 14, 2010

Decisions, choices, decision....................................

So Kyle and I have made our decision about Konner and his treatment. To us this is the right choice and we know that Heavenly Father has us pointed in the right direction. So we have decided to leave the Tumor in Konner. At times I think to myself how can I come to this conclusion. How can I leave Cancer inside my baby, The thing that made him so sick in the first place. Well here is our reason...... Konners tumor shrunk 80%. That is what the doctors were hoping for. When you look at the image scans it really seems unreal. All of Konners Doctors have said the same thing about his tumor and I know they have his best at heart. Chemo stays in your body for up to 3 months after treatment. So that could shrink his tumor more. They also said that these tumors have a tendency to grow a layer of calcium over them which will make them become inactive. Yes his tumor will more than likely have to stay in him for the rest of his life. But it will be a dead tumor and will not bother him. I asked the question..."What is the likely hood of it spreading or returning if we leave it in him?"And the Doctors response to that was...

"Konner has a 10-20% chance of the cancer spreading or returning in a different area. But he also has that exact same chance if we were to take it out. Cancer has microscopic cells which you can not see. So even if you think you took it all out there might be some left over which could grow another tumor some place else in his body or spread."

Right now we have made the decision to watch it and have urine tests done every month and scans every 3 months for the 1st year. Then for the next 2 years do urine tests every 2 months with scans every 3-6 months. If something changes or his urine spikes then we know something is wrong and he will go through all tests again. And possibly start chemo again depending on the cause of the problem. We don't want to do another round of chemo cause although it shrunk the tumor it is also poisoning our baby. We also don't want his type of cancer to become immune to the chemo cause then that can make it more aggressive. This is the best thing for Konner.

Our other option would have been to remove the tumor (which is still deeply embedded into a nerve) and see how he does. This option though sounds better at first has its setbacks. If we cut that nerve it could cause him to loose function of his bowels, or urinary tract or possibly cause him to be paralyzed. All 3 of those don't sound ideal. and he would still have the 10-20% chance of the cancer returning. He would still have to have all the check ups and possibly more.

It has taken me awhile to write to you about this. I feel that our choice is right but at times struggle with the fact about leaving it alone. I know that he will be closely watched and if Kyle and I feel like anything is wrong we can ask for tests and they will do them. I know that Heavenly Father will watch over Konner. Konner has a lot of Angels in heaven watching over him. His brother Kade, 2 other angel baby brothers, my Dad, my cousin Ashley. So that is our choice and decision.

Thank You for your continued support and prayers...


  1. You are making a tough choice, but I know in my heart, you know what is best for your child. Your prayers and your heart are guiding you. We are all still praying with you too ♥

  2. You and Kyle are amazing parents and Im so happy for you guys to have comfort in your choice and know that Heavenly Father led you to it, like you said. I can't wait to see you in a few days! Love ya!

  3. You guys sound like awesome parents. Making those hard decisions are rough aren't they. I pray that all will go well with your sweet family. Jessica