Wednesday, September 1, 2010

September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month!


Hey Everyone,

So we have entered into the month of September. I had no clue until Konner was diagnosed that there was an awareness month just for Children with Cancer. This is a special month for me not only because my son has cancer and not only cause I have a cousin who is now an Angel in heaven because of this awful disease. No matter what type of cancer it is, no matter if your an adult or a child. Cancer is an awful thing to have. Everyone hears it the same and it sounds just as ugly as it is! I am so blessed to have an awareness month. I would like to RAISE as much awareness as possible! So I have added a picture of my little konner to an already created awareness logo!  If you would like to raise awareness feel free to keep this for yourself as a reminder. Lets raise awareness together!

Below are some Childhood Cancer statistics!

Each year in the U.S. there are approximately 12,400 children between the ages of birth and 19 years of age who are diagnosed with cancer. About one in 300 boys and one in 333 girls will develop cancer before their 20th birthday. In 1998, about 2500 died of cancer, thus making cancer the most common cause of death by disease for children and adolescents in America.


Today, the overall 5 year survival rate for childhood cancer is close to 80%. Because treatment cure rates have increased, the population of childhood cancer survivors has also increased. Currently there are estimated to be 270,000 survivors of childhood cancer in the U.S. This equates to one in 640 young adults between the ages of 20 to 39 being a survivor of a childhood malignancy.


Today 46 Children will be told them have cancer
1 out of 5 of them will not survive
1 in 330 children will be diagnosed with cancer, they average age of those is 6
Cancer is the NUMBER 1 disease killer of our children. 

Lets Make a Difference, lets bring awareness of our Children! 


1 comment:

  1. I tried to copy the photo, but it wouldn't let me. I would love to put this on my blog for my family to see to!
    Love and Prayers
    Bry

    ReplyDelete